A secondary school in Amsterdam was closed due to the threat of shooting
Spinoza20first Secondary School in Amsterdam-Oost announced that it will remain closed today due to an incoming threat of gunfire.
Spinoza20first Secondary School management announced that the school will remain closed today, following a message published on social media on Tuesday evening and reported by the Parool newspaper. The administration confirmed that the name of the school was also mentioned in the post containing the threat of armed attack.
The school, located at Amsterdam Oost, Wenckebachweg, sent an e-mail in the morning to all parents and students explaining the situation. The students who came to school in the morning were sent to their homes, and all the staff in the building left the building.
“A threatening message to the school was spread on Snapchat late Tuesday night,” School Principal Jan Paul Beekman told the newspaper. said.
Amsterdam police announced that they have started an investigation into the threat. A spokesperson said: “We take this situation extremely seriously and are taking all appropriate action to be taken in such a situation.” He used the expression.
Students who had final exams at Spinoza20first school today were directed to different schools. The school administration announced on Thursday that they are planning to reopen the school, but a decision will be made based on the results of the police investigation.
The far-right politician called out to those who voted for Erdogan in the Netherlands: Goodbye
The far-right leader of the Netherlands, Geert Wilders, shared on his social media account after Erdogan declared his victory in the second round.
Geert Wilders, one of the famous politicians of the Netherlands, shared on his personal Twitter account after the second round elections.
Wilders, who is the leader of the Freedom Party and is on the agenda with his frequent racist statements, criticized the fact that expatriates living in the Netherlands voted for Erdoğan.
Wilders said, “I hope that all Turks who voted for the Islamofascist Erdogan in the Netherlands will now pack their bags and move to Turkey. Bye!” used the phrase.
Wilders, who had a great reaction in the past with his anti-Turkey and anti-Islam statements, had previously criticized Erdogan harshly.
Ik hoop dat alle Turken in Nederland die op de islamofascist #Erdogan hebben gestemd nu hun koffers pakken en naar Turkije verhuizen. Doeiii!
— Geert Wilders (@geertwilderspvv) May 28, 2023
Warning from ABN Amro in the Netherlands: Set limits on your bank account against scammers!
The number of people defrauded by internet hackers is increasing day by day. ABN Amro warned citizens to take action against these scammers.
Despite daily news about online fraud and warnings from banks, almost a quarter of citizens (23 percent) have not set a card or daily limit on their bank accounts. Experts point out that taking such a security measure can complicate the job of hackers and scammers.
According to a study by Ipsos on behalf of ABN Amro, online crime and fraud are still a major problem facing many citizens.
In the Netherlands, the tendency to protect a computer or mobile phone with extra security software is quite common, although the proportion of those who make some minor changes to protect their bank accounts is low.
Almost 87 percent of computer and smartphone users use a security software on these devices. However, 65 percent use two-step verification for online services such as email, WhatsApp and social media accounts, and 58 percent use the ‘Find My Phone’ feature.
When we look at banking transactions, it is seen that the rates are low. The rate of those who set a limit on their debit card is 65 percent, and the rate of those who set a one-day limit on their bank account is 67 percent.
“Set limit for daily usage and card”
ABN Amro fraud and secure banking project leader Neiske Ritsma told the Telegraaf newspaper that it is a wise method for a person to first set a card and limit for daily use so that bank accounts and cards can be secured.
“Setting a card and daily transaction limit or getting a payment alert can make it harder for internet criminals to get as much money as possible in a short amount of time,” Ritsma said.
Ritsma stated that 72 percent of the citizens are more or less worried about being a victim of online fraud, and that 53 percent of them set both daily usage and card limits, and 80 percent of these people feel more secure.
Ritsma noted that setting a card and daily limit does not restrict the person, on the contrary, it increases their security and that this regulation can always be withdrawn, for example, when a large expenditure is planned.
Climate protest in the Netherlands: 1579 activists in custody for blocking roads
In Amsterdam, the capital of the Netherlands, 1579 people were detained during a protest organized by environmental activists.
In Amsterdam, the capital of the Netherlands, during a protest organized by environmental activists, police detained 1579 climate activists who called for the cessation of fossil fuel use.
Activists blocked traffic in The Hague, the administrative capital of the Netherlands, by blocking the last section of the A12 main road leading to parliament.
The environmental group called “Extinction Rebellion” organized this action to protest the government’s fossil fuel policy. Demonstrators held a sit-in on the street with banners that read “Stop subsidizing the fossil fuel industry”, “Be nice to the world” and “Don’t be a fossil, stupid”.
After the venue was declared a no-show zone, the police intervened with water cannons and detained those who did not leave the road. Some activists, who were tied to each other, were separated with iron cutting shears.
Den Haag police, in a statement on Twitter, reported that 1,579 people were detained. In addition, information was shared that a police officer was bitten during the detention of an activist and the injured policeman is being treated.
The Extinction Rebellion group, which had closed the last part of the same road six times before, carried out this action last March 12 and hundreds of people were detained at that time.
Smoking marijuana banned in the center of Amsterdam: 100 euros fine
The use of cannabis is banned on the streets of Amsterdam city center.
For those who do not comply with the ban, the Municipality of Amsterdam, which wants to reduce as much as possible the discomfort caused by tourists who use drugs, especially in public places, has banned cannabis smoking in the city center.
The ban, which took effect on Thursday, is valid in the Red Light District, Dam Square, Damrak and Nieuwmarkt, which are popular tourist destinations.
Persons found to be using cannabis in public in these areas will be warned once by the police and Civil Control Officers (boa), and those who do not comply will be fined 100 euros.
The ban is for both tourists and citizens residing in this region, but those sitting on the terraces of cafes selling cannabis in the city center (Coffeeshop) will be exempted from this ban.
Dutch and English warning signs were posted in the areas where the ban was applied.
The ban on the use of cannabis in public is actually a “Stay away!” part of the campaign. In this region, where alcohol consumption has been prohibited for a long time, restrictions are applied to the sale of alcohol in shops or cafeterias. a penalty will be given.
4-year-old girl forgotten on bus after school trip in Eindhoven
The 4-year-old girl, who went on a school trip on Thursday, was forgotten on the bus after the trip. The mother had to pick up her child from Helvoirt.
Izabella, a 4-year-old girl from Eindhoven who attends the ‘t Palet school, attended a school trip to the playground in Uden on Thursday. After the trip, the bus of the Van Gompel company brought the children back to Eindhoven. After the children had disembarked, the driver immediately set out to pick up another group of students from the same school going to Helvoirt.
After a while, it was understood that Izabella was not among the children who got off the bus and the fearful moments began.
The little girl’s mother, Antje Pfaff, told Omroep Brabant that after an hour and a half they understood where her daughter was. “Before you leave the bus, don’t you check to see if there’s anyone inside? It’s possible that a bag was left on the bus, but it’s a child,” said the rebellious mother. she used the expression.
Antje Pfaff stated that her daughter will stay at school after the trip because she works, but she was surprised by the phone call she received: “They said that my daughter could return to Eindhoven with the next tour, but I refused. I said no one can take my child in their car anymore.” he said. Pffaf later stated that he took his daughter by urgently going to Helvoirt with his car.
Ruben Adriaans, the principal of his school, stated that the bus was on its way to pick up the group going to Helvoirt, and that the little girl was sleeping in the bus at that time and therefore was not noticed. Adriaans stated that it was a big mistake. “The bus is always checked, but the child was asleep and therefore overlooked. We apologized to the mother. We must ensure that this never happens again in the future.” said.
360 unaccompanied refugee children disappeared in the Netherlands
It has been reported that 360 unaccompanied refugee children have disappeared from asylum application centers in the Netherlands since January 2022.
Based on the data of the Dutch Asylum Seeker Reception Center (COA), AD newspaper reported that an unaccompanied refugee child disappears from asylum centers every day in the country.
In the news, it was informed that the number of unaccompanied refugee children whose asylum applications were received in 2022 was 4,449 and that 360 unaccompanied children had disappeared since January 2022. It was stated in the news that the fate of the disappeared children is unknown, and it was noted that some of the children went to their relatives in Europe, while others were suspected of falling into the hands of human smugglers.
The report claimed that confidential reports submitted to COA by human rights institutions included claims by some residents living near the asylum center that some black children were regularly taken to the authorities by German and Dutch elderly men.
In the news, which is claimed to have seen similar cases in England, it was stated that 136 refugee children who were placed in a hotel in Brighton, England, disappeared in the past 1.5 years.
UNICEF recommended that the conditions to which children are exposed in asylum centers in the Netherlands should be improved, and child ombudsman in the Netherlands, Margrite Kalverboer, reported that children in the asylum application center in Ter Apel were neglected in her report last year.
It turned out that the earthquake victim child in the Netherlands was not Turkish
It was announced that the child, who was alone in the city center of Maastricht, spoke Turkish and was stated to be an earthquake victim, was not a Turkish citizen.
It was stated that the child, who was found alone in the middle of the street in Maastricht and was taken to the police station and then handed over to the social services institution, is not a Turkish citizen.
In a statement to Anadolu Agency, Turkey’s Ambassador to The Hague Selçuk Ünal stated that the Embassy and the Consulate General of Deventer immediately took action before the Dutch authorities due to the incident reflected in the local press, and that Muammer Hakan Cengiz, Consul General of Deventer, met with the Maastricht police.
Noting that the boy was realized that he could only speak Turkish, Ünal said that he was interviewed by the police of Turkish origin. In this case, the Dutch Social Services were informed when they should have called us. We asked which social service center the child was in.”
Stating that the Turkish Embassy in The Hague continues to hold talks with the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the security authorities, Ünal noted that the Embassy met with the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs again this morning, and during this meeting it was stated that the child was not a Turkish citizen.
“We were informed that the nationality of the child and where he came from is still being investigated by the Ministry of Interior and Justice,” Unal said.
The Maastricht police said in a post on his social media account that the boy said that he came to the Netherlands from Turkey, speaks Turkish, his parents were in Turkey and were injured in the earthquake.
Police noted that the boy was handed over to social services officials after the conversation at the police station.
Public transport in Amsterdam is free for primary school children for 4 months
Amsterdam has decided to make public transport free for primary school-aged children for four months. The implementation, which will start in July, will last for four months.
The Amsterdam City Council approved the motion of the PvdA deputy. Accordingly, children between the ages of 4 and 11 will be able to travel free of charge on public transport for four months as of July 22.
Children who will benefit from the application must take the bus, tram or metro together with an adult.
Families will be able to apply for the free travel application for children from 1 July. This requires a personal OV card. Children who do not yet have an OV card must purchase a 7.50 euro personalized OV card.
The municipality will assign special officers for families who do not know how these procedures are done.
Children under the age of 4 are free of charge in Amsterdam.
The application aims to make public transportation more accessible in the city and to increase the use of these vehicles.
Health workers campaign for higher wages in Utrecht
Today in Utrecht, hundreds of healthcare workers are taking to the streets in search of higher wages and less workload.
This afternoon they are walking to a building in Oudlaan in Tuinwijk, Utrecht, where the ActiZ branch association and the Dutch Disability Care Association are located. The FNV union is waiting for hundreds of activists.
Disabled and aged care workers are demanding additional wage increases due to inflation, among other things. They also feel that something needs to be done about the high work pressure they are experiencing. That’s why employees come to Utrecht today. Activists gather in Paardenveld in the center of the city and from there march to Oudlaan in Tuinwijk.
“We were also surprised that so many people were willing to come to Utrecht because they came from all over the country,” said an FNV spokesperson. “But it shows how important it is to people. We’ve heard before that people are really willing to take action to explain to employers that this can no longer be the case.”
And it’s not just healthcare workers taking action today. Primary and secondary school teachers are also making their voices heard because they want more wages.
Protesting teachers are traveling to The Hague to hand over signatures to education minister Dennis Wiersema on behalf of the General Education Union (AOb), the Education Trade Union Federation (FvOv) and the unions FNV and CNV. There are also protest rallies in Amsterdam, Groningen, Zwolle and Maastricht. These are in the afternoon so that the students who have to take the exam will not be disturbed.
Teachers don’t want to go on strike yet, but will keep this option open if they don’t get paid more. Teachers say the government is currently offering a five percent wage increase: less than inflation. It’s unacceptable, they say.
Geen leuzen, maar een brandbrief met ruim 23K handtekeningen en een lijst met cao-eisen. Zo’n 500 zorgmedewerkers #GHZ #VVT melden zich a.s donderdag bij het hoofdkantoor van hun werkgevers in Utrecht @ActiZbranche & @VGNbranche. #NederlandVerdientBeterhttps://t.co/52ugjb68Ya
— FNVZorg&Welzijn (@FNVZorg_Welzijn) May 23, 2023
Morgenmiddag actie in het PO en VO in Den Haag, Amsterdam, Zwolle, Groningen en Maastricht.
Zien we je daar?@AObtweets #caovo #caopo 💚✊🪧https://t.co/h0GZAtpb1O pic.twitter.com/08L2r48Hu5
— Kim van Strien (@Kimvanstrien) May 24, 2023
Weapons flow from the US to Ukraine continues
The United States approved the sale of an air defense system worth $285 million to Ukraine.
The US administration has approved the sale of National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile Systems (NASAMS) worth $285 million to Ukraine.
The Pentagon’s Defense Security and Cooperation Agency (DSCA) said in a statement that Ukraine was supplied with the “LAN/MPQ-64FI Sentinel” radar, GPS receiver, Fire Control Center, missile launch system and other field equipment, including a $285 million NASAMS system. will be reported.
In the statement that a notification was sent to the Congress regarding the approval of the sale, it was stated that the security of a country with which a partnership was established to ensure political stability in Europe thanks to the sale would be supported, and that the decision “also complies with the foreign policy and national security objectives of the United States.”
In the statement, it was emphasized that “Ukraine needs to increase its defense capacity against missile attacks from Russia” and pointed out that Ukraine’s reaching this capacity and using it effectively will help protect critical infrastructures in the country.
TWO METHODS OF SHIPPING WEAPONS
Since the beginning of the Russia-Ukraine War, the United States has been assisting the Ukrainian army in two ways, namely, the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative, and the withdrawal of weapons from the inventory of the American army under the authority of the President.
The Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative covers the procurement of weapons and ammunition from US companies with a fund stipulated by Congress to the Ukrainian military as part of the annual defense budget.
Aid announcements made in this context represent the beginning of a contracting process to supply Ukraine with weapons, ammunition and equipment.
Since the procurement process takes a long time, US President Joe Biden occasionally authorizes the Pentagon to withdraw weapons from the inventory of the American army.